When Alcohol Poisoning Serves as a Wakeup Call for a Teenager and How This Inspired Him to Change His Life and Increase His Self Esteem
Jeffrey was a high school ninth grader who frequently seemed to be living on the edge. Jeffrey had an adventurous personality and generally wanted to do what his older brothers were doing. The core problem with this was that all three of his brothers were at least 21 years old and were for than reason able from a legal perspective to operate a vehicle and to consume alcohol.
Jeffrey, then again, had a rough time accepting the truth that as a fifteen-year-old adolescent he should not be drinking alcoholic beverages. In fact, then again, Jeffrey generally drank with his high school friends after school, primarily on the weekends.
One weekend, Jeffrey was invited to drive around with some of his older buddies. One of his friends was old enough to purchase alcohol. After buying some wine coolers, wine, and beer, Jeffrey and all of his friends went to a public park and drank for around three hours.
A Young Man Passes Out
After drinking around ten wine coolers, Jeffrey started to feel queasy and then threw up. When he became unconscious on the baseball field, one of his friends called 911 for help. It was fortunate that the call for medical assistance was made because when his pals went to the hospital to see Jeffrey, they were informed that Jeffrey had been manifesting alcohol poisoning symptoms. Simply put, Jeffrey had experienced an alcohol overdose.
When Your Cronies Drink Abusively
Jeffrey had heard that drinking too much can result in alcohol poisoning but he never thought that this would affect him. After all, some of his friends frequently professed that they could drink twenty or more cans of beer in a couple of hours without experiencing any serious problems.
Armed with this information, Jeffrey was in point of fact flabbergasted to gather that he had overdosed on alcohol because he “only” had about ten alcoholic beverages. When he told this to the attending physicain at the hospital, however, the physicain told Jeffrey that drinking ten glasses of wine over a two or three hour time frame could actually be quite a bit more alcohol than can be processed by the body. The healthcare professional further expressed how significant amounts of alcohol can cause the brain to shut down an individual’s breathing and that when this comes about, an individual can expire.
The First Sign of Abusive Drinking
This was the first cautionary message to Jeffrey that he was drinking in a risky fashion and that there are consequences for such actions. The doctor told Jeffrey that he was a lucky person because he almost died from an alcohol overdose the previous night.
The healthcare professional also talked to Jeffrey’s parents and suggested that they get alcohol counseling for Jeffrey. His parents were delighted that Jeffrey was safe and informed the healthcare professional that they would look into getting Jeffrey alcohol rehabilitation.
While speaking to his parents, Jeffrey informed them that there must be a special reason why he did not pass away and that he felt thankful that he was still alive. He also informed his parents that the strangest part about the entire drinking situation was that he had learned about alcohol poisoning the previous week in Mr. Franklin’s health class.
When Paying Attention in Class Can Make a Difference
At the time, what his health instructor, Mr. Franklin, was saying didn’t seem to make a lot of sense to Jeffrey. Due to the fact that he almost died, however, he felt that he should have listened more carefully in class and applied what he had learned to his daily living.
Jeffrey told his parents that he couldn’t wait to go to school and express regret to Mr. Franklin for not displaying more attention to a subject that was as important as learning about alcohol abuse and how to keep away from an alcohol overdose.
His parents smiled at Jeffrey and said that they were happy with the way he was being responsible for his unhealthy drinking actions and the way he was using this negative experience to enhance his self esteem. All he had to do now was to let this near-death experience impact his life in a productive way so that he would be motivated and inspired to never again go through an alcohol overdose.
Filed under: Uncategorized
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!